From:
Colby Ray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 12:17:41 -0800

A few weeks ago I asked some questions about getting an official celiac
diagnosis.  I mentioned that I didn't know if I had had any blood tests.
Well, I called my doctor and found out that she did do blood tests to check
for celiac.  She did an IgA and an IgG and they were both within the normal
range.  Other than a biopsy, should she have run any other tests?

She also looked for malabsorption and found none.  My calcium level was
even in the normal range (on the low end) despite the fact that I was
eating virtually no foods with calcium at the time.  When I told another
doctor about the calcium, he told me that calcium levels almost always test
normal because your body just takes any calcium it isn't getting from your
diet from your bones.  Could the other elements she looked at for
malabsorption be similar, or can I relax and assume I am okay?  I was
eating gluten at the time of the tests - in fact that was about all I was
eating - I was so sick, that bread was the only thing that sounded good to
me.  Has anyone been tested for malabsorption and had it come out normal
and then later found out you were a celiac?  If you are gluten intolerant,
do you have malabsorption problems?

Interestingly enough, shortly after these tests I read about celiac and
decided that it was worth a shot to go GF.  I did and I feel so much
better.

Healthier but confused,
Colby Ray
Bellevue, WA