From:
Lynda Swink <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 1996 21:23:29 -0800

Sharon Marcus writes:

>My son has asthma attacks on the average of 1-2 every 3 months and esp.
>when the weather changes. The GF diet doesn't seem to block their
>occurrance. Is there a connection or is it just another "thing" we have to
>deal with as it happens?

Sharon,

The following is based on personal experience, and much research, so here
goes....

        What I have read about asthma and allergies is that boys tend to
have symptoms earlier in life and they often deminish with age.  Women on
the other hand tend to get symptoms later in life and we have to manage
them.
        Personal experience tends to bear this out.  I developed my
allergies and asthma as an adult.  First the allergies which brought on
sinus problems, and then the sinus problems brought on the asthma.
        With the celiac condition I have multiple food allergies as well.
I have found that strict adherance to my celiac diet and very LIMITED
exposure to my food allergens seems to be lessening my asthma episodes.
Living in a smoggy local unfortunatly can still trigger an occaisional
episode.  However, I have had great success with diet so far.
        Asthma can be triggered by excercise, smog, pollens, sinus
infection, cold air (weather changes), dander, dust and dust mites and a
host of other things.
        As a child care professional I have also seen the effects of second
hand smoke on the asthmatic child.  It amazes, saddens, and angers me, to
see how many children's asthma symptoms are seriously affected by their
smoking parents.  In split family situations the evidence is abundantly
clear.  The child spends time at the smoking partner's house, and then
comes back to the nonsmokers home on anitbiotics and asthma meds.  The
child gets well and feels good only to be return to the smoker's home and
the cycle repeats itself.
        The poor child who's parents both smoke _never_ gets well.  This is
the case in my sister's home.  She and her husband both smoke.  Both of her
boys have asthma.  When they come to stay with us they get better.  When
they go home they both get sick within the week.
        I am suddenly aware that I am on my antismoking soapbox again!
I'll step down now,

Lynda
(Who BTW, is an ex smoker)

\*/\*/\*/ Lynda \*/ [log in to unmask]  \*/ So. Calif.\*/\*/\*/  _@v
@-@--,    Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for
<.         the first or last time. Then your time on earth will be
 ~                      filled with glory.  Betty Smith