From:
Phil Sheard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 1996 16:47:11 +0000

To Ron Hoggan and others, I had not intended to begin a discussion on the
issue of magnesium supplementation, since this is a subject on which I am
not an expert (if you take my advice, you will question my advice!!). Well
done to Ron for questioning my comments. It was my intention to suggest
that, as a principle we should be cautious as to which advice we accept.
After one week of membership of this group I am in no doubt that celiacs
are an extremely health-conscious group, well aware of the difficulties
which exist in understanding their condition, and learning how best to deal
with them. I felt that it is often hard for nonscientists to come to terms
with the information available, and what concerned me was the thought that
some who are struggling with information overload may find it difficult to
know which information is reliable. My advice is to be cautious about that
which is stated in terms that you do not understand, or which you believe
to contain errors based on your current understanding. I considered the
posting by Don Wiss to have aspects of both of the above, but you may hold
a different opinion.
Getting back to magnesium, yes, I believe malabsorption of the type that
celiacs have may lead to deficiencies of many types, including magnesium,
calcium, zinc (especially if vomiting and/or diarrhea are involved). I have
searched the medical literature from 1986 to present, looking for material
containing the key words celiac and magnesium, to put this issue to rest.
Nothing specific, I'm afraid. The broad phrase that mineral deficiencies
"are corrected on establishment of a GF diet" is the best I found. So, Ron
Hoggan and Don Wiss' comments are pertinent, Mg supplements wont do any
harm, and they might do some good.
In future I shall be more circumspect!
Phil

Philip Sheard