From:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:45:50 -0400

Hi Everyone,

Mildred asked me to repost my metaphor so sorry if this is coming thru twice (first time posting with my new Blackberrry).

Hi Again,

I thought of a metaphor to help those without celiac understand the impact
of our condition.  I know you all understand the frustrations in trying to
explain our condition but it's more than that.  How do you explain the overall challenge and how our worlds have been turned upside down?  Well, lately I've been hooked on Andrea Bocelli.  Then I got to thinking that although we are not blind our world has become more black and white with shades of gray.

Our dining experience becomes a task; it's no longer easy or can be taken for granted.  We know longer see the dining experience like others, something very precious has been taken away.  The colorful world we once knew is gone.  The world where we never had to give food a second thought or where we could experiment and try new dishes or embellish that new flavor or sensation is gone.

This is just a new way to help a friend or loved one understand.  Most site seeing people can comprehend a visual picture.  Of course, we don't want pity, just a little understanding that our world is now very different.  I am very happy that I can see the shapes or objects, the grays and I get
ecstatic at a glimpse of color or a rainbow (like when a restaurant prepares a flavorful safe dish or my local grocer now carries a frozen gluten-free dinner).

Just a different twist on our fate!

Best Regards,
Janet Kline
Charlotte, NC