Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:43:59 -0500

To re-post my response to the statement that "Inulin has nothing to do with
wheat, and therefore could not contain gluten" as stated by a listmate:

"It is absolutely true that inulin can come from wheat.  It can come from
both monocotyledons (grasses) and dicotyledons--botanical groups.
Therefore theoretically, wheat is a source of inulin.  However, when added
to foods, (used as a food additive) it is NOT typically from wheat, and is
usually derived from NON-gluten containing plants (usually Chicory root) .
So it is a RARE possibility that it would contain gluten in the US."

In other words, it is highly unlikely that inulin from wheat would make it
into a food product, but one could not say it is 100% guaranteed.

Many food additives fall into this category.  The new FDA allergy food
labeling laws would require inulin from wheat to be labeled as such. I am
in agreement with the fact that the major inulin used in the US is milled
primarily from non-wheat sources (please read a copy of my post above).

Thank you for contacting a mill and finding out that it is not cost
effective to mill inulin from wheat, as this is also true for many other
food ingredients and additives-while they may be derived from a gluten
source, it is not cost effective, and therefore unlikely to be milled from
a gluten source.  There are many which fall into this category of possible,
but HIGHLY unlikely.  In my opinion, it is up to the consumer to determine,
based on the facts, whether they would like to include a food or ingredient
into their diet.  Personally, I think to date, inulin is safe for the
gluten-free diet based on the information we have, however, I can only make
that decision for myself, based on the facts.  Since the US government is
NOT involved in determining what is considered "gluten free", then I like
to educate the consumer, as to the facts so as they can make their own
decision on whether or not they choose to include a food/ingredient into
their diet.

As an aside, inulin is a food ingredient, which has potential to shift the
balance of our gut bacterial milieu toward a positive one, which may be
beneficial in many diseases of the GI tract, including celiac disease.
Studies are underway in several different disease states.  However, it
should also be known, it has the potential to increase gas and bloating,
and celiacs who chose to use inulin, should be aware that these symptoms
may exhibit themselves, when introducing inulin into your diet, but, to
date, the symptoms are highly unlikely to be related to a "gluten
ingestion" reaction.  Inulin's consumption is much greater outside of the
US, and is just making its way into foods in the US, hence are not in the
ingredient books (I think that is how this conversation started, someone
could not find it in a book).  It holds some promise to be a "healthy"
additive, unlike so many other additives we consume, but further studies
are needed in specific disease states.

Susan L. Mikolaitis, R.D., L.D., C.N.S.D.
Clinical Nutritionist
Rush Presbyterian St. Luke's Medical Center
Section of Gastroenterology and Nutrition
1725 W. Harrison, #206
Chicago, IL  60612
312-563-3945

This message and any attachments contain information intended for the
exclusive use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from
disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, or the employee or agent, you are hereby notified that
any distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this message in error, please phone us immediately at
(312) 9563-3893.  Thank you!