From:
Glenda S. Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 11:45:04 -0400

Greetings Fellow Celiacs & Friends,

My original question was whether KOJEL Instant Pudding and Pie Filling
(Chocolate and Vanilla) are gluten-free. Also, the Kozy Shack puddings are
indeed a find! I was dismayed, however, that the "Flan" was not
labeled "GLUTEN FREE". Further, I was delighted to read the recent e-mail
from Royal about their puddings. When I called a couple of weeks ago, the
poor gal had no idea what planet I was on and had no one there to check
with!

First, a summary of listserve responses: I received a total of 13 responses
that break down as follows: Check with company (2); Beware of modified food
starch (4); Kosher for Passover is okay (2); Kozy Shack flan is gluten-free
(1) - IS NOT gluten-free (1); Are Royal puddings GF (3).

I talked with "Esther" of Kojel Food Company (718-821-5330) and was assured
their Kojel chocolate and vanilla instant puddings are in fact gluten-free;
modified food starch is tapioca! Admitting I know nothing of kosher food
laws, Esther said that the only impediment to gluten-free status of Kosher
for Passover foods is the addition of matzah-related products. She urged me
(and all of us) to ask our grocer to carry these products year-round.
(Note: I made the chocolate with my potato-based Dari-Free and it was truly
decadent!!)

Kozy Shack (www.kozyshack.com) advises all their puddings are actually
gluten-free, including the flan! The reason it was left off the flan
packaging was due to space limitations, but they will be adding that when
the next packaging change is made.

Royal Puddings (by Nabisco: 800-8NABNET) definitively declare their Instant
(chocolate, vanilla, butterscotch, pstashio) and Cooked (chocolate and
vanilla) to be gluten-free. If you have questions about other puddings,
just give them a call and they will look it up. These were the few
particular ones I needed.

I found the Kojel puddings at our Harris-Teeter. The Kozy Shack puddings
are at the Harris-Teeter and Fresh Market. Although I have been unable to
find Royal puddings locally, a friend reports Walmart foods did carry them.

Now, when I made my own (combine 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup cornstarch, and 1/2
tsp. salt in saucepan; whisk in 2 cups Dari-Free milk, 1/2 cup Egg Beaters
(or beat together 1 whole egg and 1 egg white) to blend; bring to boil on
medium heat, whisking constantly for 2 minutes or until thick; remove from
heat and add 1 1/4 tsp. vanilla; pour into bowl and cover with plastic wrap;
refrigerate.), I had to hide it from my husband....especially when I
served it over sliced bananas, topped with Cool Whip! (Note: for chocolate,
Mom suggests adding 2-4 tbsp. cocoa powder.)

I have no financial or business interest in any of these products or stores
mentioned, I'm just on a quest to live a good gluten-free life!! Again,
thanks to you all for your wonderful support and advice!

Good Health & Good Eating!!

Glenda S. Tyler
Virginia Beach, VA  USA