From:
Juli Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Juli Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 07:22:01 -0500

This may be a good time to bring up an idea that I've been thinking about. I
have four children with celiac. My oldest is a high school sophomore and so
I've started to think about her college years.  I have questions like: How
far from home should she go? Will there be stores nearby that she can
purchase gluten free foods? Are there any colleges out there that are celiac
friendly?

Then I had an idea.  What if the celiac community started a student
"adoption" program?
I live in a college town and would be so willing to help out a local college
student who has celiac.  I could store food in my freezer, bake for special
occasions, have them to dinner once in a while, do some shopping for them,
just be there for them if s/he needed me.  As a parent, knowing that their
is "family" in town to help my child would make me feel so much better.

So, is this a crazy idea or is it doable, worth the effort?

Juli of NC