From:
Jeanne Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeanne Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 12:24:43 -0700

Summary about my question about vinegar. Please respond to any comments, if you are an expert, like a doctor, nurse, or an expert patient or parent. Thanks.

Here they are:

Only malt vinegar causes problems for celiacs...

Only Distilled, white vinegar causes problems.

If it is distilled vinegar then you need to find out how it was distilled? With what grain?

.....you must have some other sensitivity that is separate from vinegar, because research has been done on celiac and vinegar is safe.

Both I and my 4 year old daughter (celiac diagnosed) have trouble with vinegar unless it is for sure cider vinegar. So, I think your problems are from celiac and that you don't have any other disorder. Just my opinion :)

Have you tried Veganaisse? It's a mayo made w/ cider vinegar (from
apples).

  Hellmann's mayo is ok. Heinz catcup is ok.

White vinegar is a bone of contention for celiacs.   It can be made from wheat and although some swear that distillation removes gluten, two friends, one a pharmacist and the other a professor of science say that traces remain...that there is absolutely no way of removing 100% of the gluten.

Some time ago we did a questionnaire of the group and about 50% had reactions to vinegar......me too!

btw...if you had been reading the messages on the web you'd know that the homeopathic remedy VERATRUM ALB 30C stops gluten reactions cold...2 pills under the
tongue as needed. You can get it in any health food store for $5.  My MD/homeopath had told me to take this years ago.  I always have a vial with me.

Please post this response.  I too am concerned about vinegar and don't know
what to do.  I do know that Kraft Mayo and Miracle Whip are GF and balsamic,
apple cider, rice, and wine vinegar are GF also.

It has been determined by several researchers that people with celiac disease should not have a problem with vinegar. If you have a problem with it then you could be having another problem. A lot of folks with vinegar
problems do have problems until a cleansing has been done. Have your doctor check you for a yeast problem. I know of this since my daughter was going
thru this until she did a cleansing and got the excess yeast out of her system.
Corn also give me the classic celiac reaction.  If I eat popcorn or
cornmeal, the corn, that leaves my system within 24 hours and show no mercy
when it leaves.

Corn Syrup and high fructose corn syrups just leave me with gas and aching
joints.  So I definitely don't eat corn ever.

A word from me:
Celiac's are more sensitive to a lot of other things besides gluten/wheat products. Keep in mind, oftentimes, after staying on the GF diet for a long time, and healing, you may be able to eat the dairy, corn, or whatever you were sensitive too.  Keep[ in mind, also, the GF foods that bother you are not burning off the VILLI., though they still should be avoided until you heal.

That's All Folks,
Jeanne Lee
Mesa, AZ

---