From:
richabec <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 13:15:30 -0600

My original question:

  I have had the Kitchenaid bowl lift model for 24 years.  It still runs
perfectly.  However, my son wants a mixer so I decided to pass mine to him
and try a new model.  I got the professional 5 qt model from Sam's for
Christmas.  I finally tried it out today and am pretty disappointed right
now.  It is SO extremely loud with a high pitched whine.  It also seems to
have a hitch in it's get-along as it goes round the bowl.  It is not a
perfectly smooth continuous motion as the beater goes around.  It doesn't
hit anything but doesn't sound even.  My resident engineers feel that
doesn't bode well for it's longevity.

For those of you that have this model (and have tried it if it is new!), is
this the way it is supposed to be?  My old one ran around as smooth as
butter.  It was a loud motor but nothing like the whine this one has.  It is
impossible to carry on a conversation in the kitchen when this is on.  I
can't decide if this is just a matter of getting used to a new machine -
change doesn't come easily for me! - or if I have a lemon.  Has anyone else
out there had an old kitchenaid and switched to a new one?

Any input out there?  Thanks in advance.

Becky
_
I received many responses to this query. The responses were mixed - folks
either love it or they hate it.  Some had the same problem and were
frustrated by it. Conseequently, they don't use the machine often because it
is unpleasant.  Others dearly love the machine and said the noise is not an
issue.  All seem to agree that the customer service is very good and that
they stand behind the machine.

It was pointed out that the paddle sometimes needs to be adjusted so that it
doesn't hit the bowl and make a loud clanking noise.  This is addressed in
the manual and is an easy adjustment.  Some said the noise gets better over
time as the machine is used more - or else they just get used to it!

Some had more difficulty adjusting to the bowl lift than to the noise.
Those folks prefer the tilt head model.

It was suggested to try google with the brand name and model number + review
to research other's experiences. There is also a forum available at the
kitchenaid website to exchange ideas with other owners.  This was very
helpful.

It was pointed out that the company that made mine 24 years ago (Hobart) is
not the one doing it now.  I think Whirlpool is the mother company. The KA
reps say that the noise is the result of the metal gears and thus part of
the durability of the machine.  It was also pointed out that Sam's, Costco,
and some other retailers actually have a different model marketed
specifically for them.  For example, mine was from Sam's (KG25HOX) and had
an 11 cup flour capacity.  The one carried by BedBathandBeyond.com and
Amazon.com is(KV25GOX) with a 12 cup flour capacity.  Go figure.  Both
apparently have metal gears.

Lots to think about.  I have returned mine in the hope that it was a lemon.
I will give it another try soon - in the meantime I will keep agonizing over
the reviews and the KA forum I have learned about!  Lots of folks suggested
that I tell my son to go find his own mixer.  He is actually watching this
whole drama rather nervously for fear I will do just that!  He was pretty
excited when he saw the new one because he knew it meant good things for
him.  We'll see what happens!  Hopefully, I will absolutely love the next
one I try and the problem is solved!

Thank you to all who responded.  I hope I contacted everyone personally -
your replies were all very helpful!

Becky