From:
Walter & Susan Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 20:28:11 -0600

Listmates,

Well, it's a hit at my house, so here below is how I accomodated the
childhood draw to macaroni and cheese:

Boil an appropriate quantity of Ancient Harvest Quinoa  Elbow Pasta.

Make a roux of butter or margarine and a starch you have on hand such as
potato starch flour, corn starch or tapioca flour.  (For those uncomfortable
with that instruction, you make a roux by mixing melted butter with a starch
until it is smooth and then heating it until it wants to pull away from the
sides of the dish, and then add appropriate liquid to make a "cream" sauce.
I like to heat it together in the microwave for just a few seconds, stir,
reheat, stir, until I'm happy with the consistency.)  Add gluten-free milk
substitute with small additions and reheat in microwave for about five or
ten seconds between stirs to make a nice cream sauce.  Add salt and more
butter or margarine to taste.  Then, if you are not worried about food dyes,
you can add a drop of yellow food coloring to give it more of a cheddar look.

Believe it or not, this quinoa pasta is already so yellow that it fools the
mind into thinking of cheese.  The butter gives it just enough of a dairy
taste to make it quite passable.  (At least my daughter thinks so!)

>From someone who has not found any cheese substitute I could appreciate!

Susan Owens
                            (Walter & Susan Owens)
                            Dallas, Texas  USA