From:
Susan First <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan First <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 19:40:46 -0400

    This is a summary of the comments made about my pending Amtrak trip from
Ohio to Oregon for my daughter's wedding in October.
    I heard from 12 people, and the consensus was to call ahead and talk to
the Reservations and/or Customer Relations people.  There is room to take a
cooler and overnight bag aboard.  There are acceptable menu choices for
lunch and dinner, but there is an issue about cross contamination in the
kitchen.
All who mentioned breakfast or snacks said bring your own.  Several said
bring all of your own food.
    One mentioned bringing your own pillow because theirs are very flat.
    One suggested I post my question on Delphi Forums, but I feel I have
received enough feedback here.
    One traveled 5 years ago and had an exceptionally bad experience with
the staff, and asked for my opinion after I travel cross country.
    One said a microwave was in the kitchen part of the dining car.
    One said that ice was not provided.
    My decision has not yet been made, but I am having heart problems, and
my cardiologist may be the one who decides if a train trip or an air trip
would be good or bad.
    I really am leaning toward the Amtrak trip, though.  I have flown a lot,
and long distances can be very stressful on an airplane, and they don't do
the food right, either.
    I will let you know how it goes.
                                    Susan First
                                    Toledo, Ohio