Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2008 09:35:52 -0500

Regarding experiences at Outback and Carraba's both, we have never had a
bad experience there, but I think it's important to remember that we
can't just go into a restaurant and say, "Give it to me gluten-free" and
expect that the wait staff and kitchen will understand that, no matter
-where- we are. We do always request the GF menu so we can show an
inexperienced waitress if we need to, even though we nearly always order
the same things and know the instructions by heart. We always repeat the
exact instructions given for the meal -- it takes a couple extra
minutes, but it's worth it for the relaxing experience of eating out and
enjoying good food. Yes, both the wait staff and the kitchen actually
rely on those instructions, which when given and followed, result in a
great gluten-free meal.

FWIW, I usually bypass the steamed vegetables completely and get either
the garlic mashed potatoes or a sweet potato at Outback. The only bad
experience we've ever had at Carraba's was having to send a salad back
that came with croutons, for which they apologized profusely. We're
highly symptomatic, so if we were getting cross contamination, we would
feel the effects of it.

Honestly, I think the whole chain has done a remarkable service in
giving celiacs places where they can go out and relax, and it just
disturbs me to see them getting so much negativity.

Cheers,
Deb