From:
Luanne Marten <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Luanne Marten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:33:06 -0500

Thanks to (nearly) everyone who sent me wonderful supportive responses. Your kind words and sharing of your experiences really touched my heart. I wanted to answer everyone, but with 69 responses, it just got away from me.
 The answers were so varied that it is really hard to summarize. Mostly they fell into a few categories: 1. bring your own food, 2. educate the host on what you need; and/or 3. don't go to dinner at homes of those who refuse to accomodate you.
As far as dealing with the emotional side of things most everyone recommended acceptance that others may not desire or try to understand this diet.  I read lots of grieving in many of the posts. And so many of you shared so transparently about your own experiences with relatives. Thank you.
Danna Korn's great book has several chapters dealing with this entire issue and really, that was the most comprehensive advice and insight. THanks Danna for reminding me to reread this. It is different reading it after you have actually lived the diet vs reading it when newly diagnosed.

Thank you everyone again for your posts, but I do want to mention just one more that didn't fall into the 'supportive' category.

 I got this gem of a post from [log in to unmask]
You really think people should prepare a whole meal just for you. Grow up.

.

Luanne