From:
Shreve Stockton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shreve Stockton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 09:20:14 -0400

Here are the responses I got regarding an easy cookbook.
Thanks so much to everyone who responded, this is very helpful information.
Many suggested Bette Hagman's books but these are not really good for a
beginner.  I did not like her books at all--just my opinion for other
beginners out there who asked for my summary.

  I am much like you. I'm not a big cook. A few months ago I posted for the
names of cookbooks on this list. I ended up using my best judgement at the
time and I purchased the Gluten Free 101 online via Amazon.
I personally, was disappointed in the book. I was looking more to make
dinners. I am not a breakfast eater or a dessert cook.
The large majority of the recipes are based on desserts or on breakfasts.
The dinner recipes which they include are typical All-American dishes, such
as macaroni and cheese, meat loaf, spaghetti and meatballs,  penne pasta
casserole,etc. I was looking more for chicken/fish recipes to be honest with
you. The recipes included  also had more ingredients that I would want to
cook with(I like quick and easy).
The book's introduction is pretty good, it tells you what flours to cook
with/which ones to avoid. That wasnt as important to me though.
It depends what's important to you in a cookbook. If you're a big breakfast
eater, adn enjoy your desserts I would recommend this book. If, you're like
me and looking for a few good dinner recipes, you may want to look
elsewhere.

 I have "Gluten Free 101" from Carol Fenster and feel it is a good GF
cookbook. I would also recommend any of Bette Hagman's Gluten Free
Gourmet Books, especially the revised editions. Her first book revised,
is a great basic, as are the two following "More from the GF Gourmet"
and "GF Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy" They are all good for many meals
and general basics. Bette has a wealth of information in the first few
chapters vital to all GF cooks in addition to her doable recipes. It
really depends on what you are needing. If you want to bake more
desserts, then get her "GF Gourmet Makes Dessert", if you want to bake
breads, then try "GF Gourmet Bakes Bread". Bette Hagman was one of the
premier gluten free cooks and she was my inspiration. Likewise, all of
Carol Fenster's books are good, too. Check the date on Rita Greer's
book. If it is over a few years old, maybe get a book written recently.
I seem to remember a cookbook with a similar title having incorrect and
outdated information.

I vote for Gluten Free 101.  It is excellent.  I have all of Carol's
cookbooks and Betty Hagman's as well and a couple by Connie Sarros.  If you
are only going to get one, Gluten Free 101 should be it.

I love "The Gluten-Free Kitchen" by Roben Ryberg (Miss Roben's). Her
recipes for the following are delicious: corn muffins, pancakes,
waffles, yellow cake, muffins(i.e. banana).  My kids use the book more
than I do!
Of course, Bette Hagman's books, as well.

You might want to check out the Celiac Sprue Association cookbooks which are
member submitted recipes compiled and they are really cheap, I think $6.00
each for each book and packed full of recipes.  You might be able to find
them on the CSA website.  I wouldn't recommend joining that organization
though.  I used to belong and found out a lot of their info is out of date.

I have not used Carol's new cookbook, but I feel sure it is probably good. I
have two others of hers. You might try some of Bette Hagman's cookbooks. She
have 5 now. There is also one out by Rebecca Reilly. She is a trained chef
up in Maine. Bette's books should be available at your local health food
stores or I'm sure Barns and Nobel have some.

My favorites are The Gluten Free Kitchen by Roben Ryberg and The Bread one
by Bette Hagman don't recall the exact title.  Don't be afraid of disasters.
I hope you don't have any, but I remember being VERY depressed over my
failures til I got the hang of it.

I found that the Gluten Free Kitchen by Roben Ryberg is extremely easy to
use.  Every recipe I have made from it has come out terrific.

I've not seen either one of those, but I like Bette Hagman's cookbooks,
espeically her bread one.  Your old recipes can usually be converted to gf
with some tweaking.  We've put together a good selection of recipes on our
local celiac support groups' website:  www.dfwceliac.org.  Check them out
(and they're free!).  The pineapple cake and Italian cream cake are
absolutely wonderful.

Robin Ryberg's The gluten free kitchen.  I am not an expert cook, yet with
every bakery item that i make out of this book, it looks and tastes
professional.    She uses ingredients that everyone would normally have in
their pantry.

I've heard good things about Carol Fenster's book but don't know the other.
Roben Ryberg also has a book called the Gluten Free Kitchen that uses
simple and easily available ingredients. Her recipes are easy and the ones
I've tried have been good. And it's just $11 plus shipping.

I havent seen cooking 101, but I saw the Rita Greer at my local library. She
is english, and I find that the ingredients are somewhat different, she does
give measurments like 1 cup as well as metric, but I didnt care for it,
before you order, check you library, they may carry a few gluten free
cookbooks you cook view before you buy

try your local library

Carol Fenster's book is very good.

I don't have GF 101 but I have other books by Carol & love her.  I don't
know about the other cookbook.

I absolutely swear by Carol Fenster's Special Diet Solutions because I have
found that I have to cope with lots of different problems with my family.
The muffinmix recipe is like biscuick for celiacs - I use it for almost
everything from muffins to pancakes, to coffee cake and I don't use sugar in
it...She seems to have the celiac chemistry all worked out.

Gluten Free 101 is an excellent basic cookbook for new celiacs.  Most
regular cooking is easily adapted by using a GF mix in place of flour for
dredging or simple thickening, sweet rice flour for thickening as in gravy.
It's baking where things get tricky.  GF 101 starts out with a good
discussion on how to adapt ones cooking to GF.  The recipes include simple
breads, muffins, breakfast foods, cakes, cookies, and basic meals like mac &
cheese or spaghetti and meatballs.

Rita Greer is British, so her book had meany recipes that just didn't appeal
to my American tastes.  It might be considered basic in England, but to me
it didn't fill the niche for a new American celiac.
If you're British, then this might be the better book for you.  If you're
American, I'd recommend Carol Fenster's book.

Bette Hagman's "Gluten Free Gourmet" is a classic.  It's my favorite.