From:
Eve Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eve Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2010 12:07:26 -0800

My daughter drinks Carnation Instant Breakfast Essentials powdered chocolate
milk drink, for extra nutrition in an attempt to gain weight.

I noticed that the most recent box I bought has "wheat starch" as the last item
on the ingredient list. It never said this before; though it has said "made on
equipment that also  processes wheat."

I called Carnation, and they said that the drink contains "the same vitamin mix
it always did" but the vitamin mix contains wheat starch. Previously, they did
not list wheat starch on the label. Now they do. But, because consumers have
been reacting poorly to "wheat starch," they are taking it off the label on the
next batch of boxes, the supervisor said, though they will still be using the
same vitamin mix that does, indeed, contain wheat starch.

I asked the supervisor again, "So you are saying the vitamin mix has always had
wheat starch, but you didn't have it on the label, then you did have it on the
label, and now you are taking it off the label, even though it still contains
wheat?" He said yes, that's right. He said it's less than 1 part per million.

Is that acceptable under current FDA labeling laws -- do they have to declare
any wheat at all? Would the presence of wheat starch in less than 1ppm be
considered safe for celiacs? Ridiculous?