From:
Kieran or Donna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 10:05:51 -0500

I was told by my dr, and nutrionist that alcoholism, celiac and diabetes
are on the same gene strand.  Often diabetes and celiac "pop" when the
body has been under stress...surgery, illnes or menopause.  Alcoholism
is VERY hard on the body...and many active alcohclics are malnrourished
which is a real stress to the body.  BTW, I know of alcoholic women have
had to have hip replacements because the hip bone does not receive
enough blood and "dies"...Liza Minnelli, Liz Taylor and my sister all
had exactly the same surgery for the same problem...interesting...  This
is very interesting stuff here.  Osteonecrosis of the hip can be caused
By clotting disorders, and iron overload can increase clotting.  10% Of
the Population have some kind of clotting disorder, so anyone with one
for Excess clotting could have serious symptoms if iron overloaded.   On
the Other hand, does folic acid or b12 deficiency affect clotting?

Please summarize.  This one is interesting to me, too, as I was married to
an alcoholic. I suspect he may have problems with gluten.  But escape
drinking can be a self medication for depression, and depression we know
accompanies celiac. So, it's interesting to think of a connection.

Drinking is a choice, not a disease.

I agree, to some extent.  Many people in the know have said that alcholics
Are self medicating.  If one has unpleasant symptoms when sober, the choice
Can be between drinking and feeling bad.  If one attempts to get help and
Fails, the alcohol choice is still available.  Some find that pharmaceutical
Drugs don't help as much.  Since alcohol is  protective from free radical
Damage, it may be the perfect choice for some whose body is suffering
Oxidative damage from excess iron. It is only a shame the medical profession
Have their collective heads stuck in the sand concerning iron.  My former
Husband plainly felt depressed when not high or drunk, but i don't know
Whether he had celiac or io or neither. (We have figured out he had some
Bipolar tendencies)  my present husband has io and very much enjoys alcohol,
But does not drink even weekly, or to excess.  One time he decided to become
A "moderate drinker", officially 2 oz alcohol a day, which some studies
Showed was associated with lower rates of heart disease.  He soon found it a
Bore and quit.  He has felt extremely tense for 15 years, but has coped
Using  meditation and herbs and supplements.  Getting treated for io has
GIVEN HIM SOME BLESSED CALM.

I have celiac and my brother has too much iron in his body.  He is also an
alcoholic.  My aunt( moms sister) has hemochromotosis and my mom is anemic
and celiac.  It is like some have too much iron and some have too little.  I
believe my brother may have celiac and is in denial because he doesn't want
the strict eating.

Don't know- but can say that the three adults in my family who have CD
are not drinkers. Both my dad's parents were alcoholics, but he has CD,
but doesn't drink, unless it is a champagne toast for a celebration of
some sort. Now, his mom could have had CD that was undiagnosed- she
always had stomach problems, and had part of her stomach removed for an
ulcer. (I THINK CELIAC AND IO CAN BOTH CAUSE ULCERS) She lived to be 90
despite the drinking- and she was a sweet drunk, not a mean one. You
know, my ex-husbband was a mean guy and put one of our kids in the
hospital for 2 weeks. Now he has no visitation rights at all. He does
not drink or do drugs, nor does he have CD. He's just a mean guy. So who knows?

I saw Dr. Fine speak at our support group a couple of months ago.  He
touched on this subject.  He said he feels there is a link between
Celiac and alcoholism.  I believe he tied it all together with the large
content of gluten in alcohol and the yeast...  (I CAN BELIEVE THAT!)  I
can't remember it all.

He said research is being done on this now.  I'll be interested to hear
what you find out.

I'm a Celiac & recovering alcoholic 22 years in AA.

Thank you God!  Diagnosed via biopsy - almost dead from "Irritable Bowel
syndrome" favorite of the doctors diagnosis.  Of course, I come from
Irish ancestry (what else?), and I've wondered about the connection
between Irish, alcoholism, fibromyalgia (they say I have that, too), and
Celiac Disease and (don't laugh, my sister is one) schizophrenia.  My
father died of undiagnosed Celiac Disease, we are sure, and my two
sisters are Celiac -- one has several children and grandchildren
diagnosed, also.  I am very curious about alcoholism, though, and would
appreciate any resources on that you may receive.  Thanks a lot SAME
PERSON BELOW:

Your test sounds interesting and I can't imagine how you found enough
info to delve into such a project.  My schizophrenic sister is also
alcoholic - perhaps I told you already -- but I mean BAD!!!!    Me?  I
was just a little martini/sherry sipper - quit early - or as they say in
AA - I was a "high-bottom drunk"  Thank the Lord!

I've never heard of Iron Overload - I was always terribly anemic and it
was for that reason that I was told to have a total hysterectomy at age
55 -- ha - that had no effect, of course - was still anemic to the point
of practically dying w/5 grams of hemoglobin.  Then the "jerk"
gastroenterologist did the second biopsy - having misread the original
before the hysterectomy, and told me I was Celiac.  I went into the
hospital weighing 89 pounds.,  I'm now fighting to keep under 135.  My
sister, Eloise (we call her St. Eloise 'cause she's had 11 kids) is also
Celiac - never drank (led a "dull life"?) but has several children &
grandchildren also Celiac. My children's father is 2nd generation
Sicilian, and have not a smidgeon of Celiac disease.  Thank God.

Maybe you should call AA or Al-Anon and get the facts about alcoholism.  It
is a disease also.  It has nothing to do with iron/FMS/celiac etc.  Get the
facts!  Get some help with this.  Call or e-mail Al-Anon or AA, seriously,
they can help you if you want it.

Nice try, except i only drink a little maybe 4 times a year.  I don't think
It's any "choice" i've made, it just doesn't do much for me, except that
SOME KINDS TASTE NICE.

Your assumption is correct...........

I have never heard of this.  They are two separate diseases not related to
each other.

I do think alcoholism is genetic as are other diseases, such as diabetes
etc.

Interesting theory.  I was dxed with Celiac two years ago.  While I like
the taste the alcohol, I am not an alcoholic, and never have been drunk.
Impaired, once or twice as
a young adult (20's).  As I aged, my alcohol intake has lessened.  I
have never felt that alcohol controlled me.  As I said, I like the
taste, not the buzz or emotional feelings.