From:
Calvin Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 21:14:51 -0800

I, too, am interested in knowing of the relationship between tropical and
non-tropical sprue. I had no symptoms of sprue disease or gluten
intollerance and was healthy in every seeming aspect until after a short
vacation trip to Indonesia (Bali & Jakarta). My life has not been the same
since. Tests for bacteria and parasites have been negative many times over,
and I even had a negative biopsy in 1994. I nearly always responded
favorably to a high-powered antibiotic called Flagil, but the symptoms
always reoccurred within 8 months to a year. My last biopsy in Dec. 96
showed damage to the intestinal villi. Hence, a new diet. I am better than
before the GF diet, but have not responded as quickly as is expected says
my GI doc. Any information will be helpful. Thanks... Cal in California