From:
Bobbie Proctor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 11:57:10 -0500

Thanks again to all the people who responded to my dehydration post
(doing OK now; challenge nearly over). Here is what people had to say
about Gatorade:

#Gatorade has worked wonders for me!#

#I recently had an episode with dehydration and upon the advice of my
 doctor took Gatorade.  It made all the difference in getting me
rehydrated and gave me no ill effects.#

#Be very careful re. flavors-esp the newer ones. I treat all Gatorade
as containing gluten and quit drinking it. Dr. Murray's dieticaian at
U of Iowa warned me about Gatorade (after I lived in it for 3 wks)
Wish I could be more specific about which flavors aren't Gf-I know
lemon-lime isnt.#

#. . . With regards to your gatorade question; several of the
"flavors"  are okey - I posted the same question about 6 months ago
and someone  replied that they had contacted the company.  I drink at
least 32 ounzes  a day of this or AllSport.  The only precaution I
take is that one or two  of the flavors contain carmel color - I
don't drink those even though it  may be corn-based...there's no
reason to quess when there are so many  other flavors to choose from
. . .#

#. . . when you need to be truly fg, beware of Gatorade. It does
cause problems.#

#There is a delicate balance of chemicals needed to safely and adequately
rehydrate your depleted system.  Professionals recommend commercial drinks
for this purpose; e.g.  Lytren, Rehydralyte, which replace fluids and
electrolytes in amounts that are best used by your body.  Sports drinks
(Gatorade, PowerAde, All Sport) and other sugared drinks will replace fluid,
but most contain too much sugar (which can make the diarrhea worse) and not
enough of the other essential ingredients.  Plain water won't provide any
necessary nutrients or electrolytes.

   You can make an inexpensive home-made rehydration drink.  However, do not
give this homemade drink to children under age 12 (use Pedialyte).

   Measure all ingredients precisely.  Small variations can make the drink
less effective or even harmful.

        o  1 quart water
        o  1/2 teaspoon baking soda
        o  1/2 teaspoon table salt
        o  3 to 4 tablespoons sugar
        o  If available, add 1/4 teaspoon salt substitute ("Lite Salt")

   Take/give small sips of a rehydration drink if vomiting or diarrhea has
lasted longer than two to four hours.  Gradually increase the amounts as
symptoms subside.#

Thanks again. Bobbi in Baltimore