From:
Susan Pieper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 19:12:17 -0600

Hi, I'm Sue and I (used to be) a cracker fiend! Any kind ... So guess what
I've missed the most the past 2 1/2 years? At last I've found an acceptable
solution...

It started with a loaf of Miss Roben's white bread that was too white, and
too bread, if you know what I mean! I sliced it extremely thin, spread the
slices out on an extra-large cookie sheet, melted some butter and brushed
it on the tops of the slices, put the whole thing in a 225 degree oven,
left the oven on for a couple of hours, then turned the oven off and left
the pan in the hot oven overnight. This process turned the bread into melba
toast or zweiback, whichever you want to call it!

I next tried the process with some Authentic Foods bread that wasn't
exactly my greatest success. That's even better! I had a few slices of the
Authentic Foods cinnamon bread, and that was the most like commercial
zweiback (yes, the baby stuff--one of my secret vices!)

Anyway, this extra-crunchy toast makes a wonderful treat with tea or cocoa,
or just for relieving the munchies. I suspect it'd work well for pregnant
folks too.

Sue de LC

Susan Pieper/Las Cruces, [log in to unmask]