From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2007 14:05:36 -0400

I received two ideas from people on the listserv. Here they are. I haven't tried either yet. Lin

1. I use quinoa as a lasagna noodle replacement.  The rest of the recipe is for lasagna, I just substitute cooked quinoa.  Tastes the same, although different texture.

2.Salad Ingredients
Half cup quinoa, cooked with 1 cup water for 15 minutes
Two cans lentils, rinsed and drained, or cooked from scratch
One chopped red bell pepper
One chopped tomato
Half cup chopped cucumber or celery
Half cup dried cranberries
One avocado, diced

Dressing Ingredients
Quarter cup red wine vinegar
Quarter cup flax seed oil
Quarter cup olive oil
Half lemon, squeezed
One tsp minced garlic
One tsp salt
One tbsp maple syrup
Half tsp cumin

Directions

Gently fold the salad ingredients together. Wisk together the dressing ingredients. Fold half of the dressing into the salad. Chill for several hours. Taste adjust seasonings with salt and pepper to serve. Serve over fresh greens with additional dressing on the side.

Recipe notes for Lentil Quinoa Salad
1. This is very simple recipe has a variety of ingredients which are a delicious way to provide many nutrients, fiber and protein. Served with raw salad greens, it can be a complete lunch or dinner.
2. I'm using flax seed oil in this recipe to provide Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acids a necessary nutrient lacking in most American's diets. Omega-3 EFAs may help prevent degenerative diseases and have many health benefits.
3. I add only about half of the dressing before chilling. Adding more dressing later preserves the flavor which gets absorbed into the grain and lentils during storage.
4. To make lentils from scratch: Bring 1 cup lentils and 3 cups water to boil.  Reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 1 hour. Drain.
5. This salad can also be made with brown rice instead of quinoa, but brown rice takes 45 minutes to cook.

*******
*******