From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 1995 23:50:02 EST

Celiac Coalition:
--------1--------
We have just received notification of an exciting development for
celiacs in this country.  Representatives from support groups around
the country met at a celiac conference recently to discuss forming a
national coalition for the benefit of all celiacs.  Drs. Alessio
Fasano and Joseph Murray were asked to volunteer their time as
advisors to the coalition, and they have agreed.  (Drs.  Fasano and
Murray are staff gastroenterologists at clinics in Baltimore and Iowa
City, specializing in the treatment of celiac disease.)  This effort
will begin with a meeting in Chicago on November 4th and 5th.  Celiac
groups all across the nation have been invited to send representatives
to this meeting.  We are excited by the possibilities this coalition
may bring.

This coalition will not take the place of any current national or
local organizations.  In fact, as I understand it, national
organizations such as CSA/USA (which we are affiliated with) have been
invited to the meeting along with all the support groups.  All groups
are encouraged to continue in their current work and with their
current affiliations.

We are currently planning to send three of our people to the meeting,
subject to membership approval at our September '95 meeting:  Dr.
Alexander, our physician advisor; Diane Morof, our president; and Jim
Lyles, newsletter editor and previous president.

The coalition will allow celiacs throughout the country to speak with
one voice on issues of national concern, such as:

  *  Getting funding for medical research.

  *  Influencing labeling laws and the policing of these laws to make
     it easier for celiacs to find GF foods.

  *  Making commercial manufacturers aware of the number of celiacs
     and the size of the market to which GF products can be sold.

  *  Increasing the awareness of celiac disease, especially in the
     medical community, and helping to update the techniques used in
     diagnosing and treating celiac disease.

We think this is an important event, a milestone in the affairs of
celiacs in the U.S., and we hope that all celiac support groups
throughout the country will send representatives to this meeting.