From:
Sarah Bodney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sarah Bodney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jul 2013 17:44:26 -0700

My 16 year-old daughter was biopsy diagnosed with celiac a few months ago. She doesn't get the classic stomach issues - this came to light because of other auto-immune issues and positive IgA results. As she transitioned to a GF diet, we discovered that she got a headache on the two occasions we know of when she mistakenly had gluten.  This was particularly interesting as she had been suffering from frequent headaches for about a year prior to diagnosis.  She hasn't had a headache for some time now that she is GF.

We have become a GF household and so I am pretty confident that cross-contamination will not be an issue at home.  However, we have eaten out a number of times, sometimes at places where we weren't sure how careful they were about cross-contamination.  We try to ask all the right questions, but still with her lack of symptoms you never know.

So, I have a question for anyone who doesn't suffer from the classic stomach issues:  Are there any other, perhaps subtle signs of "glutening"  that you have noticed that might help my daughter judge whether a restaurant is OK and safe to return to?

If she doesn't feel any symptoms can we assume there was no cross-contamination...

If you have any thoughts, I would welcome them and if I get a number of replies, I would be happy to consolidate them and repost.

Sarah