From:
Monika Bradley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 04:32:49 EST

I have to give "Kathryn in CA" credit for this.  She posted a recipe in
mid-December that got lost in my recipe file, until a Dunkin Donuts opened
down the street from us and I could no longer go without great, airy, yeasty
jelly donuts.

I changed the recipe a bit, just the flour portion. And Kathy used a Donut
Maker, but I found a large spoon worked just fine.  Fried in hot oil, 375
degrees Fahrenheit - the only special thing you need is a candy thermometer.
I used Crisco from a can, but you could also use Canola if that works for
you.  The oil temp is very important (if it's not hot enough, you will have
grease balls instead of donuts).

Ok, they are fattening, but oh so good and surprisingly very little time or
work. And the look on my husband's face was worth the effort!

GF Raised Doughnuts

1 GF flour mix (I used Bette Hagman's Featherlight Mix)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp xantham gum
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 c sugar
1 c lukewarm water
1 pkg Rapid Rise yeast (I used 2 full teaspoons full)
3 tspb margarine, melted
2 eggs, room temp

Sift together GF flour mix, baking powder, xantham gum, salt, and spice.
Add 1 Tbsp of the sugar to the warm water and stir in yeast.  Set aside
until bubbly.  In a large mixing bowl, blend together margarine, eggs,
and yeast mixture using a hand mixer on low speed.  Beat in half of
flour mixture.  Stir in the rest of the flour mixture, then beat until
smooth.  Let rest for 15 minutes to give the yeast time to rise a bit.

Heat at least 1 inch of oil to 375F in a wide, deep pan or deep fryer.
Scoop up about 2 tablespoons of dough in a small ladle or gravy spoon and
drop carefully into the hot oil. Turn doughnuts once to brown on both sides.
Remove with tongs to drain on paper towels or brown paper.

If eaten warm, shake in a  mixture of granulated sugar and a little

I injected them with jelly.  Oh my, so good.

Thanks Kathy!

Monika
Pearl Harbor, HI