From:
Howard Kass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:34:52 -0500

Check out the summary that I contributed to on Scott Adams' Celiac page
(Celiac.com).

Essentially, the differential between the cost of GF food and the cost
of the "regular" versions of the same food are potentially tax
deductible.  In addition, the cost of any special items that you
purchase solely because of CD, such as Xanthan Gum, are fully
deductible.

The hurdles most people encounter is (1) that the total of the
additional costs, along with their other medical expenses, is frequently
insufficient to be able to take the medical deduction, and (2) the
voluminous records that must be kept to support the deduction.

See your personal tax preparer for further detail, or e-mail me if he or
she cannot answer your questions.  By the way, the above discussion
applies ONLY to United States income tax returns.

Howard

Howard J. Kass, CPA                                216-831-0733
Zinner & Co. LLP                                Fax  216-765-7118

Hope things aren't too taxing for you!