From:
Dain Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 1995 22:49:47 -0700

My wife has used the following recipe from "The Allergy Self-Help
Cookbook" (Rodale Press 1984) by Marjorie Hurt Jones page 189 in baked
goods with good success.

Egg Substitute

Makes about 1/4 cup. This mixture will bind patties, meat loaves, cookies
and cakes as well as eggs do.  But it will not leaven like eggs for
souffles or sponge cakes.  This recipe makes enough to substitute for ONE
EGG (my emphasis); you can easily double or triple it.

1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon whole flaxseed

Place the water and flaxseed in a small sauce pan.  Bring to a boil, then
reduce heat so mixture bubbles slowly.  Cook for 5 minutes, or until
mixture is the consistency of a raw egg white.  Do not use too high a
heat or mixture will become thick and gummy.

Note:  Don't bother straining out the flaxseeds.  They don't have much
flavor and won't detract from whatever you're making.
-------
We used this recipe "as is" and not had any problems.

Dain

[log in to unmask]  Public Access User --- Not affiliated with Teleport
Public Access UNIX and Internet at (503) 220-1016 (2400-14400, N81)