From:
Megan Harding <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Megan Harding <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 2002 19:05:09 -0500

Thank you for your responses to my question about the ingredients in
balance bars.  More specifically, a dozen of you e-mailed to say that, in
the U.S., maltodextrin is gluten-free.  It is usually made from corn.
Unfortunately, I am sensitive to corn also so I suspect this to be the
culprit.

A couple of you also mentioned other gluten-free bars that are available:

"Try the snack bar you can get at www.glutensolutions.com,
called Alpsnack, it is gluten free and wheat free,
has no peanuts, or any dairy products."

I also received another post about the Omega Smart Bar.

My personal favorite -- at least one that is available at health food
stores in Northeast Ohio -- is the GOVINDA BAR.  It truly is blissful,
mostly nuts with some dates and amaranth.  The brazil pine-nut is the best
variety.  Of course, it's rather pricey at about $1.79 each.

Megan