From:
Michelle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 18 May 2009 12:10:00 -0700

<<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your
situation.>>

My daughter was recently dx as having CD so I am very new to this list, and
this whole lifestyle change...and still trying to figure out reading the
ingredients and the 'hidden' areas gluten can be found.

In a recent post to this list it was mentioned that "Food labeled with just the words
'Food Starch" is made from wheat."

But on this website:
http://www.glutenfreeliving.com/ingredient.php#modifiedfood about
ingredients it says: Modified Food Starch: An ingredient made from a variety
of starches. Modified food starch is gluten free unless it is made from
wheat. If modified food starch is made from wheat, "wheat" will appear on
the label.

I was wondering what most people's experience has been with this. If I see
'food starch' on the label, but nothing saying 'wheat' than I've been going
on the thinking that it was ok to have.

If it only says 'food starch' but no mention of wheat should I start
thinking that it probably does have wheat, or is it safe to go by that
website and look for 'food starch' AND 'wheat'?

Thank you for any help
Michelle

*******
*******