From:
Sylvia Smolorz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 12:45:00 -0400

Here's my contribution to a better life for celiacs. This corn muffin
recipe uses Masa Harian, which is very finely ground corn flour, dehydrated
and treated with lime. It can be found in the Latin sections of grocery
stores. I have tried several other kinds of corn flour and corn meal, but I
never like the results. This recipe is fairly forgiving, but there is one
very important thing: before spooning the batter into muffin tins, let it
stand for about 5 minutes. This allows the corn flour to absorb some
liquid, thickening the batter.

Corn muffins
-------------

2-3 Tbs margarine
2 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla sugar
1 cup Masa Harina
1/2 cup rice flour
1 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
1&1/3 cups milk

Put margarine, sugar and eggs in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer or
an eggbeater until fairly smooth. Small margerine lumps are ok. Stir in
vanilla. Add dry ingredients and milk and mix well. Let the batter stand
for at least 5 minutes, then spoon into greased muffin tins and bake for
about 20 minutes at 350 deg (Fahrenheit) in a preheated oven. Makes about
12 muffins.
Enjoy!

Sylvia in Ithaca, NY