From:
chintala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 13:29:25 +1100

HI there,

First just to summarise the responses to my post regarding my son. I
received 7 including the one that Gayle posted to the list. Thank you so
much for your responses. The moral support was great and yes, mucus is
just another symptom and that is all I wanted to know. It seems to be
one of those symptoms that we just don't talk about. My son is
recovering two months later and I sometimes just need help to deal with
his problems.

Secondly I would like to respond to Gayle's summary. I did the gluten
challenge for my son because I knew no better , being very new to all
this. I had the celiac society exerting pressure and making me feel like
I was harming my son by not knowing for sure. So, stupidly I did this.

We lasted 6 days and he was just so sick, and as you know is still
recovering.

I finally got the test back and it was normal as I knew it would be
after having been gluten free for so long. But this doctor is learning
because his words were" this result doesn't mean he does not have
celiac, what it means is that you have it under good control and keep
the child gluten free". HE did suggest a biopsy and I declined because
it would have been a waste of time and my son has suffered enough. I
will no longer listen to the celiac society or anyone insisting that he
must be tested. The gluten challenge proved more than enough, and the
little accidents that he has had demonstrate just how sensitive he is.

HE will tell you that "I am never eating gluten again!!!" The doctor was
amazed at this coming from a 7 year old.

 I have learned to trust my instincts. I am sure the medical fraternity
mean well, but just don't understand, and lets face it, they just don't
see the suffering first hand.

I thank you all for your support, and I sure had no idea it would spark
off such a huge debate. This list is a lifeline to me.

Cheers Tracy