From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 23:50:02 EST

Miscellaneous Notes:
--------------------

President's Corner:  The following excerpts are from the best-seller
_Don't Sweat the Small Stuff...And It's All Small Stuff_, by Richard
Carlson, PhD, chapter 17, "Surrender to the fact that life isn't
fair"<1>--Mary Guerriero

   ...Life isn't fair.  It's a bummer...but ironically, recognizing
   this sobering fact can be a very liberating insight.

   One of the mistakes many of us make is that we feel sorry for
   ourselves, or of others, thinking that life should be fair or that
   someday it will be.  It's not and it won't.  When we make this
   mistake we tend to spend a lot of time wallowing and/or complaining
   about what's wrong with life.  We commiserate with others,
   discussing the injustices of life.  "It's not fair," we complain,
   not realizing that, perhaps, it was never intended to be...One of
   the nice things about surrendering to the fact that life isn't fair
   is that it keeps us from feeling sorry for ourselves by encouraging
   us to do the very best we can with what we have.  We know it's not
   "life's job" to make everything perfect, it's our own challenge...
   nudge you out of self-pity and into helpful action.

   ...The fact that life isn't fair doesn't mean we shouldn't do
   everything in our power to improve our own lives or the world as a
   whole.  To the contrary, it suggests that we should.  When we don't
   recognize or admit that life isn't fair, we tend to feel pity for
   others and for ourselves.  Pity, of course, is a self-defeating
   emotion that does nothing for anyone except to make everyone feel
   worse than they already do...The next time you find yourself
   thinking about the injustices of the world, try reminding yourself
   of this very basic fact.  You may be surprised that it can nudge
   you out of self-pity and into helpful action.

                            -=-=-=-=-=-=-

Celiac Research:  As noted in the Membership Voting Notice above, a
national prevalence study is being conducted by the University of
Maryland School of Medicine (UMSOM).  If anyone wishes to make a
personal pledge or donation, they may send it to the Center For Celiac
Research, UMSOM, 29 S. Greene St., Room 120, Baltimore, MD 21201.
Make checks payable to UM Foundation-Center For Celiac Research.
Please indicate if your employer has a matching charitable
contribution program.

Kosher For Passover:  In 1998, the Jewish Holiday of Passover will be
celebrated for eight days beginning at sundown April 10th.  This can
have a significance for celiacs if they have access to a store which
stocks special products for Passover.  If these products are marked:
       1. Kosher for Passover
   AND 2. Do NOT contain Matzos (can be spelled many different ways)
          or Matzos Meal,
they are safe for celiacs.

Cookies made by Gruenebaums, Washington Heights, NY were attractive,
tasty and survived one year in the freezer.  They use potato starch.
Also, look for condiments and other products.

But remember, read that label.--Carolyn Sullivan

                            -=-=-=-=-=-=-

Sustacal, Sustacal +, and Sustacal Pudding are gluten-free, according
to a company brochure.  (Thank you to Ella Lobbestael.)

                            -=-=-=-=-=-=-

Celiac-Diabetes E-mail List:  There is a new e-mail list specifically
for those who have both celiac disease and diabetes.  Gluten
intolerance and lactose intolerance are also included along with
insulin resistance, syndrome X, and the various types of diabetes.
The purpose of the list is to share experiences, offer mutual support,
chat about daily challenges, and share knowledge on dietary and health
issues.

To join the list send an e-mail message containing the following line
to [log in to unmask]:

   SUBSCRIBE CELIAC-DIABETES YourFirstName YourLastName

OOPS!  In the last newsletter we told you about the "Gluten-Free
Friends Recipe Collection", by Eloise Faber.  I got a letter from
Eloise and she is not really ready for out-of-area orders yet.  So far
she's only printed a small number of copies and she is still working
on the last section.  At a future date when she has finished it and
has made a few corrections, she'll be ready to do a larger printing.
So please do NOT send Eloise any more orders at this time.  We will
let you know when the collection is ready for widespread distribution.