From:
Disease Newsgroup <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 11:36:02 EST

I want to thank everyone who took the time to respond.
As I suspected, I didn't receive the magic answer but, here is a summery.

Of those who commented specifically on whether they thought her two different
reactions were both the result of gluten or a virus. The Bug won 5 to 1 over
gluten.

However, I received many responses indicating that reactions do differ in
intensity, depending on the amount of gluten ingested. A few reminded me that
different gluten grains have more gluten than others. (Wheat Vs Oats) Also,
the longer you have been gluten free the more sensitive you become to gluten.

One person suggested that she may be lactose intolerant and, suggested to
take her off all dairy for three weeks and then reintroduce her to dairy. See
if she has a reaction.

If the symptoms became chronic, I could take her for bloodwork while she was
symptomatic and see if it was if fact, a gluten reaction.

One person indicated that have reactions to combinations of foods - rice and
bread and corn and tomatoes.

One person's daughter had symptoms which were caused by stool retention
because of the lack of fiber in her diet. They increased fiber and fluids and
had her sit on the toilet at regular times.

One person said their Dr., who is also a homeopath, recommended VERATRUM ALB
30C. This is taken when you have a gluten reaction and it "stops the symptoms
cold." This can be obtained at health food stores.

As far as how soon after ingesting gluten does one see symptoms, this also
varied.
30 min to 24 hours
3 days to immediately prior
next day
12 hours max since that is how long it takes for food to pass through the
   digestive tract.
Immediately, days, weeks, months
24 hours
12-24 hours
8-12 hours
within 24 hours
one day before.

As I said, thanks to all. It has been a challenge this past year. Our house
is basically gluten free, I watch her like a hawk at playgroups, I have put
fear in her preschool teachers. I cringe when she plays at the McDonalds
playground (all those gluten molecules). But, she is a healthy, happy little
girl and, that is all that matters.

Carolyn in California