Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 19:28:20 -0500

Hi and thank you all of you (numerous people) who responded to me.

2 messages were questions for more informations, but all the rest were re-
enforcement of what I had posted.  I deleted a few of them by mistake, but
they were the same kind, more or less.
"Hi-  thanks for your wise words.  I wrote to an expert on the subject and
here is what she answered.
(name removed)

Ann said:  approx 50% if the people on this site react to vinegar.  I
questioned two
friends, one a pharmacist the other a college science prof about
distillation.  They said that while theoretically, distillation removes all
the gluten, in reality nothing is 100 percent.  A molecule can remain and
that molecule affects us.  Newbies in partiular are very sensititive to
vinegar in additon to canola oil [rapeseed grown on fallow wheat fields]
and
cheap balsamic vinegar which is often cut with white vinegar.  End of
quotation.

approx 50% if the people on this site react to vinegar.  I questioned two
friends, one a pharmacist the other a college science prof about
distillation.  They said that while theoretically, distillation removes all
the gluten, in reality nothing is 100 percent.  A molecule can remain and
that molecule affects us.  Newbies in partiular are very sensititive to
vinegar in additon to canola oil [rapeseed grown on fallow wheat fields]
and
cheap balsamic vinegar which is often cut with white vinegar
"Mireille,

Your post below brings up an interesting point: crackpots who use
reputable
groups to spread fear and unfounded rumors. There are two posters in the
celiac listserve, Ann being one of them, who I'd like to see removed from
the
group because they routinely post unfounded nonsense. Unfortunately, the
moderators of this group don't seem to screen posts or vet posters in any
way.

Pity we can't figure out how affix warning labels to certain posts!"
Maureen
Thank you!  I came to the same conclusion, but I spent some time worrying
that cheese wasn't okay for my boys after some posts raising that
concern.  I finally concluded after some fruitless calls to Kraft and
looking on the web that if there was any gluten from that source, it was
so microscopic that it was probably negligible.  My conclusion bore the
happy result of normal TTG's for both boys (who LOVE cheese)!  Thanks for
addressing that...on behalf of someone who was recently new to all of this!
 Diadra

Hi Mireille,
Thank you so much for your informed and common sense replies. Some of the
posts drive me crazy with stupidity and paranoia although once in awhile I
do learn something new.
Barb

What is it about this person? Hasn't she written some pretty weird
stuff in the past? Once she decides something is true it doesn't
matter what you say or show her, she doesn't change her mind. And
then she spreads the misinformation.

When I wrote her very politely saying essentially what you just said,
she replied:

"my we are nasty.....check archives, dummy" (the archives actually back me
up).

Oh well. I also sent a message about it to the list.

Thank you.  I have been at this for 7 years now and also have never found
that to be the case.  I had not had time to check into it yesterday to
correct the misinformation.

From someone who wanted it corrected, thank you for doing this.  I am also
sure a big thank you is in order form the newly diagnosed who were utterly
confused by the posts.
Francie

Hooray!!

I didn't have the research to back it up but I am glad that you did.

People do a disservice to our community when they post unfounded
information that further restricts our diet.

Thank you for speaking up!

Michael