From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 17:09:51 -0500

Abbreviated first message:

I cannot understand why   any doctor would endanger the  well being of a
child of seven to do a gluten challenge.  What on earth was the reason?  If
a gluten-free diet solves a problem is not that enough reason to stay
gluten-free? Imagine making this poor child sick for two months or more...

Isn't it time this LIST, as a group, began to question the wisdom of such
action and to become pro-active ourselves in showing celiacs that they can
question the wisdom of such a test and can, indeed, tell the doctor they
are unwilling for themselves or their children to undergo such a
gluten-challenge if the gluten-free diet is working successfully?

Most Americans seem to feel we have no right to say "No" to a doctor, but
doctors are human like the rest of us, and sometimes they follow a protocol
with very little thought.

There have been many responses:  I'll try to send just the nub of each message.

*****

****

****

****

****

****

****

****

****

****

****

****

****

****

> Great advice. After a two-week gluten challenge prior  to biopsy several
>years ago I became convinced that we need to listen to our  bodies. The
>biopsy was negative, but I absolutely know without any doubt that  gluten
>makes me sick. In retrospect, I knew that before the biopsy. Never again.
>
>  It is always a good practice to question docs. If they are too thin
>skinned  to deal with questions, even those that question their judgement,
>find another.  Right now I am seeing a gastro, who I like so far, for
>stomach pain. He  suggested doing an endoscopy and ultrasound, which seem
>reasonable, but said  that if the ultrasound was negative he would want to
>do a DESIDA scan  (radiotracer) to check out my gall bladder. I looked up
>gall bladder disease and  found that is characterized by right side pain,
>nausea and vomiting. My pain is  on the left side with no nausea or
>vomiting. He's going to have to do some good  explaining before I agree to
>the test.

****

Let's hope that the research that Jeff Black is doing at the University of
Utah will be successful in finding a celiac diagnostic tool that will not
make it necessary to do any more gluten challenges in the future.
Meanwhile, let's try to find ways to protect the children and those who
have severe reactions from doing a gluten challenge.  Gayle Kennedy