Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:35:18 -0500

Thought you might find this interesting concerning the food labeling bill:

Dear.........:

Thank you for contacting me regarding food labeling.  I appreciate the
benefit of your views on this issue.

 I understand and share the concerns that you have raised
about consumer protections.  As you know, there is no cure for food
allergies, and approximately 150 people die every year as a result of
exposure to foods to which they are allergic.  The only way for sufferers
to avoid a potentially life-threatening reaction is to conscientiously
read ingredient labels.  For that reason, it is imperative that
manufacturers provide accurate, easily understood information about what
their foods contain.  The Federal Drug Administration (FDA) has outlined
steps for manufacturers to follow in order to ensure that allergens are
declared on food labels, and some manufacturers have adopted voluntary
labeling standards.

 You will be pleased to know that during the 107th Congress,
I joined Senators Ted Kennedy (D-MA) and Hillary Rodham-Clinton
(D-NY) in cosponsoring S. 2499, the Food Allergen Consumer Protection
Act.  Senate bill 2499 would have amended the Federal Food, Drug, and
Cosmetics Act to mandate that any flavoring, coloring, or spice derived
from known allergens, meats, poultry, or fish be listed on product
packaging.  This bill also required manufacturers to list all allergens
using easily understood, non-scientific terms.

 In September of 2002, S. 2499 was reported favorably out of the
Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions, of which I am
a member.  The bill was amended in committee and reintroduced as S. 3001.
Unfortunately, the substitute amendment removed gluten from the list of
allergens, directing the FDA to develop a rule for voluntary gluten free
labeling and authorizing studies on the need for mandatory gluten labels.
While I applaud the voluntary steps taken by some manufacturers, I also
believe that legislation is necessary to establish a universal standard
for the entire industry.  The bottom line is that such an effort could
save lives.  Gluten is a common allergen, with serious health consequences
for those individuals at risk.  I believe that comprehensive food labeling
legislation should include gluten as an allergen.  Despite the gluten
omission, on balance, I supported S. 2499 because I believe that it was an
important first step in reforming our nation's food labeling regulations.
While S. 2499 was not brought to the floor for consideration prior to the
adjournment of the 107th Congress, I am hopeful that this legislation will
be reintroduced during the 108th Congress. Please be assured that I will
keep your views in mind as we continue to discuss this important issue.

 Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. Please do
not hesitate to do so in the future if I may be of any assistance.

     Sincerely,

     CHRISTOPHER J. DODD
     United States Senator