From:
Ian Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 04:41:05 -0400

Dear List,

I have a daughter (8 years old) who was just recently diagnosed with
Dermatitis Herpetaformis (the skin condition connected with Celiac
Disease).  She has been totally gluten free for about a month now and
her rash (which is on her face) is beginning to clear.  My question is,
does anyone else on the list have a child with this disease and if so,
how did the rash clear up and how long did it take?  For a while it got
worse and I re-examined her diet and thoroughly cleaned her out again,
but then the rash spread from just below her nose, to down below her
mouth on her chin.  I am wondering if this is a normal progression of
the rash while it clears, or am I missing even more gluten in her diet.
I have checked with every company about every food that goes into her
body.  I could not be more careful unless I took her off everything
except lamb, rice, apples and bananas for the rest of her life.  I am
not willing to torture her like that.  I would appreciate any input from
anyone with any experience with this disease.  She gets some of the GI
symptoms and is definitely suffering from malabsorption syndrome.  My
husband and I along with several other people including her teacher have
noticed a dramatic change in her personality for the better.  She is
MUCH calmer and cooperative and just as sweet as a kitten.  She used to
be very volatile and hyper.   She is on a GF multivitamin and mineral
supplement, as well as GF Tums for calcium,  GF acidophilus and extra C
GF.  She also has a dairy allergy, egg and bean allergy.  She is
obviously off these foods too.

Please respond to my private e-mail address and I will summarize for
anyone who is interested in the responses.

Thank you in advance for your input.  I am very anxious to help my baby
with this disease when it is an adult, but when it's your child, it's
heartbreaking.

Warmly,

Bev Wahl