From:
Larry P. Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 1995 09:03:10 -0500

The responses I've received are greatly appreciated.  Tania and I agree
that the steps needed to obtain a formal diagnosis are extreme and we'd
rather not take them.  Neither of us sees any harm in a gluten-free diet
and there is plenty of motivation for her to remain on it.  Plus, it is
beneficial for me as I am a borderline diabetic.  Tania also has hypo-
glycemia and the gluten-free diet helps.

We are unfortunately motivated to consider the testing process for
official diagnosis for several reasons.  Principally because of the
advantages that it would provide.  Correct me if I'm wrong but the tax
advantages of writing off expenses related to treatment of celiac sprue
are only obtainable if an undisputable diagnosis has been obtained.
We are also looking at moving to a warmer climate in another year or so
and are concerned about being taken seriously when confronting medical
personel in a new area.  Even if we continue to reside in the Chicago
area, Tania will be attending college and graduate school someplace
else.  Again, will her needs be taken seriously by the appropriate
schools personnel?

On the othere hand, since the reason for her not presently being in
school is money, we'd much rather get her back into school sooner than
spend money on medical procedures that could be avoided.

I suppose that it's clear why I consider this listserv a support group
as much as it is a source of data.  $200 for a book?  I guess it's time
to visit the Northwestern University library.  Well, maybe after I finish
reading through all of the other references I've seen here.  And I thought
the diet was a full-time job ;-)

                                        -LPP

= [log in to unmask] = Computer programmer/analyst    =      --   `\ <     /\/  \_