From:
Jennifer Gowan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 14:39:26 -0500

After visiting Ener-G Food's web site, and speaking to their representative
today, I can happily pass along some GOOD news about the CFIA's recall of
Ener-G breads:
the recall was prompted by a concern that the breads (manufactured by Ener-G
for the past 20 years without any problems) are baked at temperatures
insufficiently high enough to kill the molds that produce the botulism
toxin. The Ener-G foods representative assured me that the bread is cooked
at 350`F for one hour, and that the US Food and Drug Administration (USFDA)
inspected the facilities 3/1/99 and found absolutely NOTHING WRONG with any
parts of the manufacturing, packaging, or any other part of the process. No
breads sold in the US have been recalled, no breads in Canada (or anywhere
else) have been found to contain botulism, and NO ONE has gotten sick. The
representative went on to say that Ener-G is cooperating fully with CFIA,
and has voluntarily stopped marketing their product in Canada until the CFIA
defines its preferred methods for maintaining the breads' quality. Fear not
fellow Celiacs, according to Ener-G Foods, the bread is not tainted!

I have nothing to gain from passing along this info; I only recently
"discovered" Ener-G breads, per the recommendation of this list, only to see
three days after I bought our first loaf that it had been recalled!!

For more information, the following two sites are recommended:

Ener-G Foods:
http://www2.digimktg.com/enrg

Canadian Food Inspection Agency:
http://www.cfia-acia.agr.ca/english/corpaffr/foodrecalls/990228e.html