From:
J.J. Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 19:09:45 -0500

Hi listmates,

     Every once in a while this subject comes up and that is why I'm
sending this to the list.  I have been in the hospital about 7 times
since I was diagnosed (6 years ago) so I have developed several ways to
handle the situation.   Here are some tips.

If it is not an emergency admission go prepared.   If it is an
emergency, be sure a family member or friend is on hand to help watch
over your care who is well informed about your diet.

1. Take along a cooler for special safe foods.

2. Take along a few safe snacks and condiments.

3. Talk to the dietitian as soon as possible, even ahead of admission if
possible.

4. Gather information about celiac and put it in a special folder to
take along to the hospital. Keep this on hand.

5. Remember it's not always the dietitian's fault if something shows up
on your tray that is not gf.   They are not the ones that set up the
trays, especially if it is a very large hospital and she may not be able
to get every special tray checked.

6.Educate, educate, educate!  Not just the dietitians, but the nurses,
doctors, etc.

I have had both good and bad experiences in the hospital and I have to
say the small hospitals do best in giving good care to celiacs.  The
last two visits have been very good and the dietitian went out of her
way to personally go out and by gf foods for me.  She also did a very
good job at educating all the staff in the kitchen.

                                           Mildred in GA.