From:
L and N Matsui <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
L and N Matsui <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Oct 2002 01:20:10 +0000

Pls. address questions to [log in to unmask]
Thank you for your question. We're pleased to tell you that most Sargento
natural cheeses should be acceptable to a gluten-free diet.  There are,
however,
a few exceptions.
We do not recommend that anyone on a gluten-free diet eat Sargento Taco
Blend
Shredded Cheese or Nacho & Taco Blend Shredded Cheese because there is wheat
flour in the spice mixture in those products. There is also wheat gluten in
Sargento Blue Cheese. Sargento Imitation Mozzarella Shredded Cheese contains
modified food starch that may contain gluten. Those on a gluten-free diet
should
also not eat the following Sargento Snacks: Cheeze and Sticks, Cheeze and
Pretzels, Cheeze and Crackers, Strawberry and Sprinkles, Chocolatey Chip, or
S'mores.
You will notice that we use microcrystalline cellulose, calcium carbonate,
or
potato starch as anti-caking agents on our shredded cheeses. When added to
shredded cheese, they prevent the shreds from sticking together.
Microcrystalline cellulose is a white, odorless, tasteless, totally natural
powder made from cellulose, a naturally occurring component of most plants.
Calcium carbonate and potato starch are also natural ingredients. None of
these
anti-caking agents is derived from wheat, rye, oats or barley; therefore,
they
are acceptable to a gluten-free diet.
The source of vinegar in Sargento Ricotta Cheese can vary; however, it is
triple
distilled, and, to the best of our knowledge, no gluten is present.
We hope this information is helpful. If you have questions about how our
products may affect your medical condition, we suggest you discuss this
information with your physician.