From:
Helen Hecker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Helen Hecker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 12:17:08 -0800

I got a call back today finally from Eden Foods. They had to call Japan to find out if the wheat-free tamari was gf and that takes forever.  They were surprised to find this out, but I had told them that I found this to be the case with other  companies. Their wheat-free tamari is NOT gluten-free( it is listed on some GF lists). I know that many wheat-free tamaris, nama shoyu and misos are not gluten-free.  Barley flour in thrown on the fermenting rice (koji) -- especially on those made in Japan.  Many that are distributed  in the U.S from Japan have undergone this processing.  Ohsawa nama shoyu and their wheat-free tamari contain barley.  So do almost all misos except some of South River's --  the ones that don't say barley miso on the label.  Helen RN