Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2007 18:40:41 -0400

A while ago I posted a question about making  biscuits.  I was trying to
duplicate the Whole Foods Cream Biscuits.  I got a bunch of responses, but
nothing that gave me any idea how to make a biscuit which tastes like the ones
from Whole Foods.  I love the Whole Foods biscuits, but nothing I've made
following a cream biscuit recipe and the same mix of flour types comes close.
Since I can't really eat the Whole Foods ones since I am allergic to milk and I
was just trying to make something like them as a starting point, I gave up on
that and just experimented.  I've ended up with a biscuit recipe that I like
with coconut milk instead of the cream.   These are very quick and easy to make
and my husband and daughter who are not gluten free like them too.  These puff
up while they're baking and come out pretty light.

Coconut Milk Drop Biscuits

1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup sweet rice flour
1/2 cup amaranth flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. sugar (optional - amaranth flour is sweet)
1can (13.5 oz)  cold and solidified coconut milk - not low fat.   I use Native
Forest brand Organic Classic

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Put all the dry ingredients in the bowl of a food processor run until all the
dry ingredients are mixed.  Open the food processor and add the coconut milk.
Run the food processor just long enough to mix thoroughly.  You might have to
open it once to scrape down the sides.  The dough should be airy.  Drop by
tablespoon full onto cookie sheet.  Bake for 12 minutes.  Makes about 18 small
biscuits

I started making this in the winter and the coconut milk is always solid, with a
little clear liquid in the bottom of the can.  I'm not sure how this would work
with coconut milk that is liquid.  If I was trying it with warmer, liquid
coconut milk, I would add the coconut milk gradually through the feed tube while
running the food processor.

You could try other flour types, but I think the sweet rice flour makes a big
difference in the consistency.

These biscuits are really good heated up in a toaster oven.

*******
*******