From:
Kris Pendley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 10:58:18 -0600

Hi there,
I had originally asked about Kraft Mayonnaise being gf.  I think the
response from this list is much faster than friends returning phone
calls.  It's incredible.

This is what I found out.

Almost everyone said that Kraft was not gf;
The gf mayonnaises are : Hellman's  (regular & lite)
    Vegenaise (available at Health food stores, and has no weird after
        taste)
    Best Maid (available at SuperWalmart),
    one from Trader joes:
    http://www.traderjoes.com

    Kraft mayo in Canada is gf.

From the postings I received, several people said Kraft was not helpful,
and sometimes nasty; but I called twice, talked with 2 different people,
and they were both very nice.  One asked me what my symptoms were after
I had eaten some mayo,  which was different. Their phone # is 800 - 847
1997.

From talking with Kraft people, I have found they have 2 different gf
listings; one for Canada, and one for the US; which they will be glad to
mail out.  In Canada, both their mayo and miracle Whip are gf; in the US
they are not.

What the lady told me was that they have different recipes for their
products, depending upon the country.  Their Canadian processing plant
uses a different recipe from their US plants.  Kraft has decided that
people have different tastes in different countries, and they try to
accomodate that.

Before when I had read similar postings, I thought that Canada just had
different rules  about what was gf and what was not.  But, evidently
companies may use different ingredients in different countries.

I thank you all for your help.
Kris in Oklahoma