From:
Pat Ogrady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 1996 09:32:14 -0400

I received a direct response to my post. The sender has given
me permission to post this to the list.

Pat Ogrady <[log in to unmask]>

---- My original question was --------------------------

Does anyone have any information on how white rice is processed and
what may be added to the rice ?

---- The initial reply was -------------------------------

Polished Rice is sprayed with a solution containing vitamins and minerals.
The rice absorbs these nutrients.  A protective coating which does not
dissolve in cold water, but does in hot water is applied to prevent loss
of vitamins via washing and to distribute vitamins evenly by cooking.

After drying talc and ferric pyrophosphate are added to keep grains from
sticking together and then more protective coating is applied.

The protective coating is ethanol or isopropanol solution of zein,
fatty acids and abietic acid.

The vitamins are derived by methods in CFR21 which includes yeast
derivation.

---- I then replied with  -------------------------------------

Thank you very much for this detailed information. I am surprised at
how much is added, I thought rice was - well - just rice.

If you have the time , I have a couple of more questions.

Is it possible to get rice without theses additives?. I am of the
opinion that I should have a choice as whether I need and or want
additives in my food.

Will rinsing in hot water remove the coatings to any great extent?

---- I received the following reply --------------------------------

Most states require enrichment of white rice.  Consequently all retail
white rice that I know of is enriched.  FDA sets standards CFR-21 for
enrichment, but the individual states decide to require or not require
it.  I doubt that you could find white rice, retail without enrichment
in the USA.

Enrichment of white rice is in the FDA Standards of Identity.  The idea
is that FDA decides what ingredients/processing aides and methods can
be used in whatever food.  The food is then listed on ingredient labels
as "white rice" or "caramel color" or "yeast", etc.  If the consumer
wants to know what is in "white rice", etc., she is then expected to go to
CFR21, Standards of Identity and read what is allowed.  Not all foods
qualify for the Standards of Identity.

Rinsing with hot water will help.

Obtaining  unenriched rice, retail in the USA will be very difficult.
You will have difficulty getting a processor to sell it to you before
enrichment as they could be breaking state laws.  Penalties can be
severe.