From:
Susan Lahti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 08:31:15 -0700

I posted a question about what a elevated IgG could mean if not celiac.  The
majority of responses said they didn't know but were interested if I found
out.  Several posts also said it could be a false positive or the other
tests could be a false negative.  One poster corrected my typing errors.

I did find a medline article called:  The predictive value of antigliadin
antibodies in the diagnosis of non-celiac gastrointestinal disease in
children.  (authors-Bottaro, Failla, Rotolo, Azzaro, Spina, Castiglione,
Patane)

A summary follows.  I have edited.

Recent antigliadin antibody determination has become an important diagnostic
tool in coeliac disease.  Although this test has high sensibility for the
diesease, it is less specific, especially for IgG class, because of its
having beeen found in some acute and chronic common intestinal childhood
diseases.  We studied the behaviour of AGA, IgA and IgG in 234 children
affected by various gastrointestinal diseases comparing the results with
those obtained in 125 coeliac children and 788 normal children.  The
intestinal diseases were as follows: irritable bowel syndrome, cow's milk
protein intolerance, acute infectious diarrhoea, parasitosis, lactase
deficiency, recurrent abdominal pin, cystic fibrosis, chronic constipation,
gastroesophageal reflux, intestinal lymphangiectasia, chronic intractable
diarrhoea and nodular lymphoid hyperplasia.  Our results showed that while
IgA were absent in all children studied, with the exception of 3 cases of
acute diarrhoea, a moderate percentage of IgG was observed in subjects with
cow's milk protein intolerance, acute diarrhoea, irritable bowel syndrome,
lactase deficiency, chronic intractable diarrhoea and in a low % of children
with parasitosis, intestinal lymphangiectasia and nodular lymphoid
hyperplasia.  The different behaviour of the two antibody classed could be
explained by the fact that IgG were detected in diseases where scattered
areas of mucosal damage could allow the permeability of the macromolecules
inducing passage of gliadin through the mucosal barrier and immune
system-induced antibody stimulation.

Thanks for the responses!

Susan