From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 23:50:07 EST

                        Beware the Charlatans!
                        ----------------------
                by R. Jean Powell, Bozeman, Montana<2>

It has been brought to our attention that Montana has been invaded by
agents and telephone representatives distributing literature which
touts questionable therapies.  Some of these Charlatans cruelly
promise a quick cure for Celiac Disease.  Included:

   * Untested enzyme products of questionable ingredients.

   * Topical ointments, powders, and salves which we're assured have
     absorbent healing powers.

   * "Cleansing" therapy of the colon with herbs, fibers, and parasite
     cleansers.

   * Products which "rend gluten harmless".

I hope that all of you see through the deception of these hollow
promises.  While the medical jargon may appear somehow logical, it's
slightly askew.  There is no sound scientific basis for statements
like the following:

   In the product, there is "soluble fiber which aids in lowering
   cholesterol and fats," and "insoluble fiber to scrub the inside of
   the colon like a brush to remove buildup from the walls of the
   colon.  Without this cleansing, the toxins from the feces are
   absorbed back into the body, instead of being expelled, which is
   called autointoxication."

("Autointoxication" is not listed in any of my medical resources, but
is listed in Webster's Dictionary.)

Product claims include:

   Weight loss in mere days; freedom from constipation and diarrhea;
   expulsion of "years-old... decaying matter" from the colon (a
   ludicrous concept); and protection from cancer.  It stops
   headaches; lowers blood pressure and cholesterol; eases heartburn,
   ulcers, gout, etc.  For an investment of $50 you, too, can become a
   representative...

Shouldn't we question why large profit-minded drug companies haven't
snapped up these miracle concoctions?

One product which costs $99.95 (plus postage and tax, of course)
includes herbal teas (one month's supply), fiber to mix with juices,
and a parasite cleanser.  Safe for celiacs, it's claimed.  Fifty-one
ingredients are listed including maltodextrin, which--admittedly--
could come from corn, and alfalfa powder.  Many of the ingredients
sound inedible and one wonders what controls are being used to
regulate for gluten-free status, cleanliness, and safety.  (Recall
phen-fen?)  Do I really wish to subject my insides to "green black
walnut hulls powder?"  What about allergies to nuts (so to speak)?
What about ingredients NOT listed?

In Montana in late spring you can hunt and gather in a cattle field of
wildflowers and collect the same blossoms and seeds--with a little
fresh compost thrown in--for nada.

I received literature from a Canadian distributor suggesting that by
adopting his (expensive) regimen, I would never suffer from colon
cancer.  I filed the envelope under "Baloney".

Nurse Anne Swift was appalled to receive a deceptive claim through the
mails stating that their blue-green algae product would cure Celiac
Disease and the papaya renders gluten harmless.  I've been accosted in
health food stores by misguided individuals who seemed perplexed by my
lack of enthusiasm for their "miracle cure".  Well-meaning possibly,
but a danger to my health.

If you're considering trying a non-traditional product, first take the
literature to a nutritionist, your doctor, your pharmacist, or a
nutritional chemist.  Be skeptical, hide your wallet, and find out as
much as you can about the ingredients.  If no ingredients are
provided, avoid it like the plague!

Don't forget the most significant grain of all when you're approached
with the empty promise of a cure:

   TAKE IT WITH A GRAIN OF SALT!