From:
Margaret Steele <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Steele <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 17:16:28 +1000

Thank you  all for your replies and suggestions, and to Fiona for the extra
information on salicylates ( not summarised here, but will send to anyone
who wants it).
 At present Cameron is coming to the end of the three week period of a
salicylate free diet.  He has had 6 new spots . My daughter plans to start
him on a high salicylate diet (through lots of high level fruit and
vegetables) for a week on Monday and see  what happens, and then decide the
next step. She has asked for a copy of the blood  test results.
I will keep you posted.
First here are the answers to some questions I was asked.
Salicylates are natural food chemicals, similar to aspirin, which occur in
most fruit and vegetables in varying strengths.
My own intolerance to dairy, salicylates and amines was discovered through
the elimination diet . About three years after my CD was diagnosed I began
to get some symptoms similar to the ones that led to my diagnosis, and
having first thoroughly checked that I was not getting hidden gluten, I went
to the allergy clinic.
It was the dermatologist  who told my daughter to test the salicylates. I
suggested the three week period.
When the spots were on his hands they were on the front (non palm side) and
sides of his fingers.
This is a summary of the replies:

*Try a gluten free diet first for at least one month.  If this doesn't help
him, then go on the elimination diet.  First, eliminate one thing, then
another. If this doesn't help, go to an allergist and have him tested. It
sounds to me like he may have DH.
*I have the same thing.  I am presently being tested for DH, but what I have
is EXACTLY what you have described.
*Just before I was diagnosed with CD I went through a period in which I had
terrible hives -- mostly on my inner forearms, ribs/belly, neck and back.  I
read that hives are most often a reaction to salicylates, and noticed that
the cleansers, lotions and exfoliants I used to keep my skin clear were all
salicylate-based.  I stopped using them and within a month or so the hives
stopped.  6 months later, I was diagnosed with CD and began a GF diet; six
months after that, I found I was able to use  salicylates in moderation.
*dry skin if often itchy....my daughter's md told me to give her cod liver
oil each day..it comes in various forms.  Within 2 days, skin was no longer
"greyish" and dry....and not itchy
*I have an allergy to salicylates that presents as general itchiness and
raised red itching spots, sometimes with hives.  It responds to Cortizone
10, and to Atarax (which is what I take because I am allergic to Benadryl).
*What are salicylates???   My grandson also has itchy skin, mainly arms,
(elbow creases), wrists, buttocks, sometimes chest.  never eats junk food
and very active 19 mo old.  dr. said it was eczema..  she uses oatmeal
baths, lotions etc.   lasts short while.  can't pinpoint foods....
*could it be the soap used to wash clothes...toothpaste...soap used to wash
dishes...etc.  stuff like that???
*The spots "sound" like the ones my son gets when he comes into contact with
an environmental/plant item that he is allergic to.  He becomes intensely
itchy and cries because of the pain/itchiness and his age (he is now 4 1/2
years old and we have had many of these in the last 3 or so years).  The
sooner we wash the area (usually with Pinetarsol) get claratyne and some
times Ventolin in the better as within 10 minutes he is usually much
improved.
If you have Claratyne on hand it might be a quick check as to whether the
reaction is an allergy one or not as I don't think that any gluten or
salicylates reaction will respond to anti histamine.
*What kind of fats are the kids getting? I had all kinds of skin problems
when I was on a lower-fat high-polyunsaturated fat diet (the kind the
doctors recommend). Then I started reading Nourishing Traditions and some
other material, and switched to good ol' animal fats, and my skin is sooo
much better. I used to get dermatitis from the sun, and that is completely
gone. Also I used a lot of canola oil, and the stuff in that makes the skin
more sun-sensitive (I don't know about the other sensitivities). Fish oil is
good for the skin too, I think, though I have not used that much.
Anyway, the weird part about fats is that they are stored "as is", and the
body really isn't equipped for polyunsaturates. The fat the body produces is
saturated, and polyunsaturates make the cell walls different, which leads to
problems. Many skin problems, in people and in animals, are related to the
kinds and amounts of fats. My dog gets horribly itchy if I don't feed him
the right dog food: the vet says he needs more fat, and the commercial dog
foods tend to be low in it. Now I get the kind with a lot of Omega 3's, and
he is fine.   Also, trans-fats are really problematic, and kids get a lot of
those (in candy and cookies!). Most vegetable oils have trans fats too.
*My brother had a similar problem around that age. It was to refined sugar.
Now, in his 40's, I am sure he has CD.  So, if the diet trial doesn't help,
consider the sugar on his cereal etc as another possible cause?
*Sounds as if it could be DH.
*Also tend to get these "vesicles" (little itchy blisters) in my hairline
and on the rest of my scalp. Usually after I have come into direct contact
with wheat flour (i.e. making a cake or bikkies for dh). SOOOOO itchy! And
then some times you can pop them and more come up, yes. Best way to treat it
is to put apple cider vinegar on it. Works quite well! If the kid is still
itchy I can suggest putting some apple cider vinegar on the band-aid
first..... that might help....
*Please see :http://www.dhcondition.plus.com/  for more information re DH.
*I was just diagnosed with DH and had small blisters like the ones
described.  I also had small round rashes up and down my arms. The
dermatologist took a biopsy and the lab requested a second biopsy using
special lights, which actually diagnosed the DH.
*Where exactly are these tiny spots on his hands.  Are they on the sides of
his fingers as well by any chance?   I have something that sounds similar
but they seem to appear on the sides of my fingers more often than in the
other places which they appear.  I do have CD & DH, biopsy confirmed, and
some difficulty with salicylates, nitrates and a great deal of topical
sensitivities as well.
*Sounds like DH..just follow strict Gf diet and he should be fine
Thanks again,
Margaret