Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2007 21:59:33 -0400

Hi All,

This is my first posting.? The listmates are wonderful and full of great information

I was wondering if anyone has had any success in getting a public high school to make gluten free food available for a celiac child.? My son was dx'd 17 months ago by blood work an biopsy.? I live in a south suburb of Chicago.? I found some info?on the Illinois State Board of Education web site, that I think makes it sound like they do.? My son also has a learning disability and an IEP for special ed. services.? The info I found was talking about kids with disabilities and Section 504.

When I talked to the Special Ed. Coordinator she said that they do not have to provide gluten free food for him because it is not related to his special education disability.? She said that all they had to provide was fruit, veggies, salad and yogurt.? I told her that was not a nutritional lunch.? She also told me that?celiac is only an allergy and not life threatening.? She also said that if I want to open his IEP that his GI Dr. would have to attend the meeting, because he did not provide a list of name brand food that my son could eat.

I would appreciate any information anyone has to offer.? I really don't want to let this go.

Thank you!!? I will summarize.

Kelly A.