From:
Rebecca Richardson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 11:33:15 -0500

I found Stephen Southern's post very interesting because our approach is
about the same, and I had been wondering how many other people do.  We
don't let our daughter eat anything that we know has gluten in it, but we
do make "judgment calls" on questionable items and sometimes those are
quality of life decisions.  Here is an example.  At Christmas time, I
bought cupcakes for my daughter's day care class party.  I did this so I
could make her GF cupcake look like what the other kids were having.  The
store bought cupcakes had sprinkles on them, and I had some sprinkes just
like them in the cupboard.  Way down on the ingrediant list I found
"modified corn starch".  It is my understanding that in the US ingrediants
are listed from "most" to "least".  I reasoned that whatever gluten their
might be in a teaspoon of sprinkles could not do her harm, so might
daughter had sprinkles on her cupcake, just like the other kids.  There
was no reaction.  But, on the other hand, cupcakes with those sprinkles on
them have not occurred since in our household, and aren't likely to occur
until next year's Christmas party.