From:
Janine Choi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janine Choi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:30:14 -0700

Hi all:
Want to thank all of you for helping me out this week.  I got a ton of
suggestions and lots of recipes for different types of play doh from the
standard rice recipe to edible peanut butter.  Wow.  I ended up for time
sake ordering on-line from Discount School supplies and we are going to try
and make the recipes in class as the year goes on.  Will let you know which
ones turn out the best.  Took the advise of a fellow list mate and made up a
box that I got from Big lots which has a handle on it and put in all the
school supplies my son needed.  This way he has his supply and if there is
any question or if he is unsure whether a product is safe or not, he can use
what I have in his box.  It is a pretty big box but I put in crayons, paint
(tempura and water colors), sidewalk chalk, finger paints, colored pencils
and markers, stick glue and regular glue of which all brands are either
Crayola or Elmers.  I ended up going all over the place as the Target here
is under renovation and did not have everything in stock.  But, I found it
all between Michaels and Office Depot.  I can't thank all of you enough.
When I asked him how he likes his new school he said Mom, I love it.  That
makes this all worth it.  Here is the summary.  Thanks so much again, Janine

It's from the book Incredible Edible Gluten-Free Foods for Kids by Sheri L.
Sanderson.

2/3 c. rice flour
1/3 c. potato starch flour
1/3 c. salt
2 t. xanthan gum
1 T. Cream of Tartar
1 package unsweetened Kool-Aid, any flavor (or food coloring, but Kool Aid
is brighter and has a great scent)
1 T. vegetable oil
1 c. warm water
Extra potato starch for kneading dough

1. In a medium-sized saucepan, combine all the dry ingredients. If using
food coloring, add it to the water before adding to the dry ingredients.
2. Add the oil and the warm water to the flour mixture and mix well.
3. Heat the mixture on medium heat for about one minute or until the mixture
thickens and pulls away from the sides of the pan. Remove from heat.
4. Turn out the dough onto a cornstarch-floured board or waxed paper. Knead
in enough potato starch until the dough is no longer sticky.
5. Store in an airtight container or zip-style bag when not in use.
6. If the dough becomes too thick or slightly dry after using, heat in the
microwave on high for about 30 seconds and knead.

For #4, I add quite a bit of potato starch flour before it loses the
stickiness. It takes doing it a couple of times to get the hang of it.

Also, you can purchase GF playdough through www.discountschoolsupply.com.
The number is #colordo and I believe the price is $18.97 a tub.
----------------------------------
I do not know of a recipe, but he can use modeling clay.  It is great
because it does not dry out.  It comes in different colors and you can
usually find sets with utensils included. (i.e. cookie cutters, plastic
knife)  If you have a Big Lots near you, they have really inexpensive sets.
I just bought some for my 2 year old for about $1.50 each.
----------------------------------
NON-EDIBLE SIDEWALK CHALK (easy!) - THIS RECIPE IS NOT EDIBLE!!!!  I DON T
KNOW IF REGULAR CHALK CONTAINS GLUTEN, BUT HERE IS A HOMEMADE CHALK RECIPE
JUST IN CASE .

2 C. Water
2 C. Plaster of Paris
2 T. Tempera Paint (Wet or Dry)
Toilet Paper Tubes with Duct Tape over one end

          Combine first three ingredients & stir.  Let stand for a few
minutes.  Place tubes on cookie sheet lined with foil or wax paper.
Pour mixture into tubes & let stand until semi-firm.  Remove contents from
tubes and let dry completely (about 1-2 hours).  Rain will wash away
artwork.

NON-EDIBLE PLAY PUTTY  (easy!)

1 C. White Glue
1 C. Liquid Starch
Food Coloring

Put glue & coloring in a plastic container.  Add starch a little bit at a
time, stirring constantly.
Keep stirring until mixture holds together like putty.  Test with your
fingers.  If it s too sticky, add more starch in small amounts until mass is
smooth and rubbery.
Pull, stretch, bounce, transfer from comics.  Store in Ziploc bag or
airtight container.
Another alternative to GF play-clay, etc.

Kool-Aid Play-Doh

This is not food!
1-1/2 cups GF flour
< cup salt
1-1/2 tsp. oil
1 pkg. Unsweetened Kool-Aid
1 cup boiling water

  Mix and have fun!  Will keep for weeks in covered container.  Not
necessary to refrigerate.  Can be stored in small freezer bags.
--------------------------
 1 1/2 cups corn starch
1/2 cup flour (use gf)
2 cups water
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 cup salt
1 T. vegetable oil

Mix all ingredients in sauce pan.  Cook over medium heat stirring constantly
until mixture gathers on the stirring spoon and forms dough.  This will take
about 6 minutes.  Dump onto waxed paper until cook enough to handle and
knead to form a pliable mass.  Store in covered container or plastic bag.
Food coloring may be added to make different colors.
Makes about 2 pounds
-----------------------------
I found a web site that will have plenty of play dough recipes:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/childclay/childclay.html
----------------------------
1 cup GF peanut butter
  3/4 cup light corn syrup
  1/4 cup honey
  1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
  1 1/4 cups nonfat dry milk

  Put all ingredients in a medium bowl.  With your hands, mix the
ingredients thoroughly.  Do not refrigerate the dough.

  This recipe appears in the 'Wheat-free Gluten-free Cookbook for Kids and
Busy Adults'.  At the back of the book, there are lots of gluten-free craft
ideas listed.
------------------------------
You might want to buy Danna Korn's book, Kids with Celiac Disease, or maybe
it is available at your local library.  Starting on page 94, it has lots of
recipes for clay, dough, paste, etc.  I haven't tried any of the recipes
yet, but will eventually.
------------------------------
G.F. Playclay for kids..
Real Playdough contains wheat!
1 1/4 c. rice flour    1 Tbs. baby oil
      1 c. water         2 tsp. cream of tartar
   1/2 c. salt               Food coloring (opt.)

Mix dry ingredients in a heavy pan.  Add remaining ingredients.  Cook ~3
min, stir constantly, until it pulls away from sides of pan. Cool slightly,
store in plastic bag.
----------------------------
G.F. Playclay for kids..
Real Playdough contains wheat!
1 1/4 c. rice flour    1 Tbs. baby oil
      1 c. water         2 tsp. cream of tartar
   1/2 c. salt               Food coloring (opt.)

Mix dry ingredients in a heavy pan.  Add remaining ingredients.  Cook ~3
min, stir constantly, until it pulls away from sides of pan. Cool slightly,
store in plastic bag.
Peanut Butter Play Dough

1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup peanut butter, smooth
1/2 cup dry milk

Mix ingredients until you have the consistency of play dough. Have fun,
but don't eat it all..
---------------------------have fun all of you.  Thanks again. Janine