From:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:29:02 -0700

Hi Celiacphiles,
I am so happy to get another recipe for lentils that I can share:

Linda's Lentil Soup:

I do something very similar, except I start out by browning diced up
Italian sausage.  Besides the lentils, I usually put in lots of diced
onion, some carrots, celery and whole baby potatoes, sometimes stewed
tomatoes and/or spinach, and I use the garlic, chicken broth, and
lentils pretty much the way you do, seasoning with thyme, ground celery
seed, fennel, cumin, bay leaves, oregano, salt and pepper.  Mostly, I
use up whatever I've got left over, too, so if there's a half bag of
frozen peas in the freezer, it gets tossed in.  When I use the tomatoes
or not, it changes the character of the soup quite a lot, it really
seems like an entirely different soup!

Once about a year ago, I bought the hot, spicy Italian sausage instead
of the mild.  The red pepper flakes in it get hotter and hotter the
longer it sits.  I would usually use ALL mild, or maybe 3 mild links to
1 spicy link.  But this time it got SO HOT, I had to keep on cooking
MORE and MORE lentils, separately, and more and more veggies, to stir
in, so I could dilute and use up my frozen leftover HOT soup.  Needless
to say, it was a big batch when I started, so by the time I finished off
stretching it out, a couple of months later, everyone was well and truly
sick of it!

Personally, I try to avoid dairy almost completely, but my boyfriend
likes to top off his soup with some parmesan cheese and a little sour
cream.  Yumm!  The contrast of a dribble of cool cream and the cheese
melting on top of the hot soup is really nice.

Your version sounds good, too - I'll have to try the sweet veggies, the
yams and squash combo sounds intriguing.

Linda Ireland, Seattle

Thank you again to Joan and Linda!

Celiac best,
Susan